- 子供の頃はよく先生に怒られたものだ。I used to get yelled at by the teacher often when I was still a kid.
- 昔はよく親父と釣りに行ったものだ。I used to go fishing with my father in the past.
- 若い頃は色々と苦労したものだ。When I was young, I used to suffer a lot.
- 小学生の頃は毎日学校に行ったものだ。I used to go to school everyday when I was an elementary student. (Unnatural, as this is a normal event)
- 昔は毎日のように親父とけんかをしたものだ。In the past I fought with my father everyday. (Natural, as this is a meaningful event)
- 多分子供の頃に食べたことがある。I may have eaten this when I was a kid. (Unimportant)
- 子供の頃はよく、神社で遊んだ事がある。When I was a kid, I played at the shrine a lot. (Potentially important, but not in this speaker's opinion)
I used to go swimming in the ocean a lot when I was a child.
A long time ago, I often used to go out and take long drives.
When I was a child, I used to nod off a lot in the middle of class.
Dad used to take me to the movies when I was a child.
People used to take their water from wells, but now you can just get it (directly) from the water supply.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
[AIAIJ] An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
たものだ – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (8 in total)
Have you heard of the Hinative app? I recommend it, it was basically built for those kinds of questions! I haven’t used it in a while, but I would use it to check with natives if my sentences were natural. It’s really easy to get translations from multiple natives and learners alike, as well as corrections/suggestions on how to say something better
thank you for your reply and valuable time.
I’ve heard of it, yes. As you said, I think it is a useful site for this purpose. Have you tried ChatGPT? If you have heard or experienced it before, I do not want to make any additional explanations about it.
I hope that there are many people at a higher level than me at Bunpro who can answer this question.
Not bad yes. I liked it. It’s integrated with A.I., that’s great, I didn’t know that. Thanks for your advice.
Got questions about たものだ? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion