Verb［なくて］(*) + よかった
Verb［ないで］(**) + よかった
(*) Mostly found in literary/written language
(**) Mostly found in spoken language
- やっぱり今日来てよかったね。Actually, I'm glad that we came today, don't you think?
- あの携帯を買わなくて良かった。I'm glad that I didn't buy that cellphone.
- あの時にお前と別れないで良かった。I'm glad that we didn't break up that one time.
- 先輩、今日の会議で余計なことを言わなくて良かったですね。Senpai, aren't you glad that you didn't say anything more at the meeting today? (A bit more formal, focuses on expressing reasons or results)
- 行った人皆が風邪引いたの？昨日のパーティーへ行かないでよかった！Everyone that went caught a cold? I'm glad that I didn't go to last night's party! (A bit more casual, focus more on 'not doing' something)
I am glad that I studied.
I am glad that I didn't eat dessert today.
I am glad that I made it in time for this bus.
I'm glad that I exercised today.
I didn't think that I needed it, but I'm glad that I brought it.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Genki II 1st Edition
Genki II 2nd Edition
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.