Noun + を通して
Noun + を通じて
通じる 'to flow', or 'to go through' and 通す 'to make a path', only differ in that the former is intransitive, while the latter is transitive. Because of this, 通じる will be seen more often in regard to information or communication where (A) is the connection through which (B) occurs. 通す on the other hand more often refers to direct locations through which something is transferred or relocated.As this expression begins with を, it will appear after nouns, before expressing in the (B) part of the sentence exactly what was done 'through' (A).
- その事件はネットニュースを通じて知りました。I learned about that incident through online news.
- 彼はアニメを通じて日本語を学んだそうだ。I heard that he learned Japanese through anime.
- 語学留学を通して日本の文化などを学びました。I learned about Japanese culture and other aspects of Japan through language study.
- 仕事を通して今の妻と出会いました。I met my current wife through work.
- ロシアには年間を通じて寒い村があるらしい。I heard that there is a town in Russia that is cold throughout the year. (Natural Japanese)
- 事故にあった際には弁護士を通じて相手に連絡をするようにしてください。If you are involved in an accident, you should contact the other party through your attorney. (Unnatural Japanese)
- 事故にあった際には弁護士を通して相手に連絡をするようにしてください。If you are involved in an accident, you should contact the other party through your attorney. (Natural Japanese)
- ロシアには年間を通して寒い村があるらしい。I heard that there is a town in Russia that is cold throughout the year. (Unnatural Japanese)
I met my current wife through a friend.
I have learned a lot through participating in this project.
I ended up being able to communicate with my parents only via the lawyer. My parents hate me.
Through the theatrical play, my communication ability improved.
Through the organ, I learned the importance of practice.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
を通じて・を通して – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (3 in total)
How significant is the difference between を通じて and を通して?
The readings link to this Stackexchange page which says
while many times they can be used interchangeably,
を通じてis used when describing the means that brings about some conclusion .
But does that mean を通して can’t be used to describe a conclusion? When is it used then?
In other words, why is を通して incorrect for
今の奥さんは友達 ____ 出会った。but not
植木 _____ 自然の尊さを学びました。?
Hey @eccol !
Although を通して and を通じて can be used interchangeably, they do have a slight difference in the nuance because the plain forms of を通して and を通じて is 通す and 通じる, and have different meanings. 通す means ‘to make an object pass through another object’ and 通じる means ‘to connect’. Due to these differences in their meanings, を通して has a volitional nuance, and を通じて has a passive nuance.
を通して does not work with 今の奥さんは友達を ____ 出会った, because he did not go out of his way to meet his wife, he met his wife through coincidence of having a friend that was friends with his current wife. Also, because the definition for 通じてる is ‘to connect’, を通じて sounds a lot more natural.
を通して sounds more natural for 植木 _____ 自然の尊さを学びました, because the speaker went out of their way to plant trees to learn nobility of nature.
We hope that this answers your question!
For future reference, I think this grammar point could do with splitting:
Got questions about を通じて・を通して? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion