いくら + Verb［ても］
いくら + ［い］Adjective［ても］
いくら + Noun + でも
いくら + ［な］Adjective + でも
With いくら～でも, the (B) part of the phrase will usually highlight something that is being negated, giving the phrase it's 'no matter how much' nuance.
- あの人にいくら言っても、何も変わらないよ。No matter how much you tell him, he won't change.
- いくら新しくても落としたら壊れるに決まってるじゃん。No matter how new it is, of course it is going to break if you drop it!
- あの人のことがいくら嫌いでも、そんな事言ったら可哀そうだよ。No matter how much you dislike them, that is a hurtful thing to say.
- いくら俺でもそんな重いものは持てないよ。No matter if it is me, I can't lift something that heavy. (Even if it is me, who is strong, I cant lift something that heavy)
- 相談ならいくらでも聞いてあげるよ。I'll listen to you vent however much you need.
- お菓子ならいくらでもあるから、好きなだけ持っていきな！As for snacks, I have plenty, so take all you want!
- お金はいくら払ってもいいのでその靴を私に下さい。I will pay however much for those shoes, so please let me have them! (Amount only)
- お金はどんなに払ってもいいのでその靴を私に下さい。I will pay whatever sort of money for those shoes, so please let me have them! (Possible amount or type. Dollar, yen, euro, etc)
No matter how quickly I do it, I won't finish before Saturday.
No matter how much they cry, they won't cry themselves out.
Before finding Bunpro, no matter how much I studied grammar I couldn't understand it.
No matter how cute your grandchildren are, it's not good to buy them whatever they want.
No matter how hard I try, I can't compete with him.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
いくら〜でも – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (3 in total)
Why do you only cover いくらでも and not arbitrary question work + でも?
@seanblue Is this what you are looking for? We felt that grammar structures like いくらでも and どんなに~ても would benefit from having their own, dedicated grammar pages. Cheers.
I’d be curious to see this expanded on too. Integrated Approach gives more examples:
いつ見ても no matter when (I/we/you) look
何を食べても no matter what (I/we/you) eat
どこへ行っても no matter where (I/we/you) go
Got questions about いくら〜でも? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion