つつ is a formal grammar structure and will appear in writing more than in speech.
- 環境に悪いと知りつつ、レジ袋を使い続けている。While I know that it is bad for the environment, I continue to use plastic bags.
- インターネットでレシピを見つつ、料理をしたので今日の晩御飯は美味しいはずです。Dinner tonight should be delicious since I cooked while looking at a recipe on the internet.
- 走りながら携帯でゲームをしていたら、電柱にぶつかった。I bumped into a telephone pole because I was gaming on my phone while I was walking. (Natural Japanese)
- 走りつつ携帯でゲームをしていたら、電柱にぶつかった。I bumped into a telephone pole because I was gaming on my phone while I was walking. (Physical action, unnatural Japanese)
- 仕事に関係ないことを考えながら仕事をしていたら、大きなミスをしてしまった。I made a big mistake at work because I was working while thinking about something unrelated to work. (Natural Japanese)
- 仕事に関係ないことを考えつつ仕事をしていたら、大きなミスをしてしまった。I made a big mistake at work because I was working while thinking about something unrelated to work. (Non-physical, natural Japanese)
The swallow can sleep while flying.
While preparing food rations for the south pole expedition, participants were memorizing things like the daily schedule.
While watching the scenery of the setting sun, the elderly man recalled his nostalgic youth.
While laying out my futon, I got transfixed by the TV.
That's amazing that you are writing a number of serial columns for the newspaper while also writing a full-length novel.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar Guide
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
つつ – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (1 in total)
Based on how the grammar point was explained, this example sentence seems super, mega wrong.
Caution - Unlike ながら, つつ is used more often when the (A) action is an ongoing state, rather than an actual physical action that involves movement.
Flight is an active, physical activity which involves movement. The only explanation I can fathom is a nuance wherein the swallow being asleep makes it a non-active participant in its own flying, downgrading its flight to the “ongoing state” status of hurtling through the air.
This is some hefty nuance to be dropped in unexplained, so it feels more likely that it is an error. If this is in fact hefty nuance, please confirm! My mind would indeed be blown.
Got questions about つつ? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion