Noun + までに
To use までに, we will need to attach it to the end of a noun, or verb in the non-past form.
- 5時までに駅に来てください。Please come to the station by 5 o'clock.
- 遊びに行くまでに片付けてね。Please tidy up by the time you go out to play.
- 来月までにレポートを書 く。I will write a report by next month. (Focus is on 'next month' being the deadline)
- 来月までレポートを書く。I am writing a report until next month. (Focus is on 'next month' being the end point for something that will continue until that point)
- 冬が終わるまでにスキーをしたい。I want to go skiing by the end of winter. (Not just 'by winter', but specifically 'by the end of winter')
Please call by tomorrow.
I have to arrive at school by 8 o'clock.
Let's go Christmas present shopping by the end of November.
Could you please come back home by 10?
It will be impossible for me to be back by ten.
Get more example sentences!
Premium users get access to 12 example sentences on all Grammar Points.
Study your own way!
Add sentences and study them alongside Bunpro sentences.
Page 110 [CH 17]
Bunpro tracks all of the resources you’ve visited, and offers relevant bookmarks of physical books to help with offline tracking.
までに – Grammar Discussion
Most Recent Replies (12 in total)
まで, when used with location means “to” or “as far as”.
If we translate the sentence more literary, “If I go with my friends to the city to have some fun, I think that it will be impossible for me to be back by ten.”
I went to Kyoto by bus.
I hope it helps,
Thank you! I didn’t think about the まで as referring to the 行いったら
Got questions about までに? Join us to discuss, ask, and learn together!Join the Discussion